Source: Chef Elizabeth Falkner for The Chef’s Garden
- 1 small purple cabbage or 1/2 large purple cabbage, cut into 1/2 “ shreds
- 2 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. each minced garlic and ginger
- 5 ea. scallions, cut into 2” julienne
- 1 ea. any color carrot, cut into 1” julienne
- 2 ea. radishes, I used baby purple daikon and half a black radish and half a watermelon radish
- 1 tbsp. dried Korean chili flake
- 2 ea. minced Thai chili
- 1 ea. thin sliced serrano chili
- 1/4 C. grated asian pear
- 1 tsp. rice flour
- 3 tbsp. Gochujang
- 4 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Sprinkle cabbage with salt and sugar and put weight on it at room temperature overnight.
- Rinse off cabbage.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients with the cabbage the next day and cover with a clean towel or loose lid for 24 hours at room temperature.
- Pack in jars and keep refrigerated for 2 weeks.
- Keep in refrigerator for up to 6 months.