Beet Blush Punch first made its appearance for our 2017 Celebration Dinner last December. I wanted to highlight the intense color and flavor of the beets in a low ABV punch to start the evening’s festivities.
The sweet and earthy tones of Drambuie make an excellent complement to our baby beets. Cranberry and lemon lend tartness and acid, while Lemon Verbena and Ginger add aroma and spice. Brilliantly colored Beet Blush and the deep green of Lemon Verbena create a striking visual contrast with the deep red punch.
This cocktail can be pre-batched ahead of time and served out of a punch bowl. A block of ice, frozen with cranberries and lemon verbena leaves, floated in the bowl keeps the drink cold. Ladle approx. 3.5oz of the punch into a glass with fresh ice, top with ginger beer, garnish and serve.
- ¾ oz Drambuie
- ½ oz Scotch
- ¾ oz Beet juice
- ¾ oz Cranberry juice
- ½ oz Fresh lemon juice
- ½ oz Lemon Verbena Syrup
- 1 oz. Ginger Beer float
- Beet Blush
- Lemon Verbena sprig
- Scrub, rough chop, and juice 25 baby beets. (Yields approx. 2 cups of juice)
- Skim off any foam. Pass juice through a fine strainer.
- Add a pinch of citric acid. Chill until service.
- Lemon Verbena Syrup:
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat.
- Add ½ cup lemon verbena leaves. (We like to use the bottom leaves from tall stems, reserving the top sprig for garnish).
- Cover and let steep for approx. 15 minutes.
- Fine strain leaves from syrup. Let cool completely, then chill.
- In a mixing beaker, combine Drambuie, scotch, beet juice, cranberry juice, fresh lemon juice, and lemon verbena syrup.
- Stir over ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Add 1 oz Ginger Beer. Stir once more.
- Garnish with Beet Blush and Lemon Verbena sprig.