- 2 large red beets, boiled and peeled beets (or 4 small)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces 90% dark chocolate bar, (1 cup chopped)
- 1¼ cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- Optional 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Quarter beets and transfer to food processor or blender; process until pureed, scraping the sides a couple times.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper or a generously greased pan.
Cut sticks of butter into chunks and place in a heavy saucepan.
Add 1 cup of chopped chocolate and cook over low heat being sure to stir constantly
Slowly melt until smooth. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl gently mix the eggs for about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and brown sugar and mix on medium-high until light and airy. Reduce speed and add beet puree followed by the chocolate mixture. Add optional 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- Add flour mixture mixing until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cut and serve warm or cool to room temperature.
Adapted from: Pinch & Swirl