Fermentation · Radish ·
Fermented Winter Radish
Servings: 1 pint
Source: Culinary Vegetable Institute
An easy and delicious outlet for radishes. We see this as a way to extend the seasons of specific ingredients and don't stop with radishes. This is a basic formula for lacto-fermentation. Just like sauerkraut or kimchi. Consider cabbage carrots and turnips as well. Enjoy with a range of dishes from rice to salads to hotdogs. This is a versatile ingredient for the home.
- ½ lb (227g) Fall or winter radishes shaved on a mandoline
- 1 ½ tsp (8g) kosher salt
- With your hands mix radishes thoroughly and evenly with salt until it is dissolved and transfer to a small jar or glass container.
- Press the radishes into the bottom of the glass until the water from the radishes cover the surface.
- Place a bowl on the surface of the radishes to ensure they stay below the surface of the brine.
- Cover loosely with plastic film.
- Allow the radishes to ferment on the counter for two to three days before transferring to the refrigerator.
Leave a comment