Compound Butters are greater in flavor than the sum of their parts. The butter is a great way to carry and incorporate flavor into a variety of other recipes like mashed potatoes, gravy, or even simply as a spread for dinner rolls. In this recipe the herbs bring the bulk of the flavor so do not shy away from preparing it if you find you do not have some of the optional ingredients on hand or readily available.
- 1 package of Fine Herbs (1 compartment of the assorted wheel)
- 8 oz of butter, softened
- ½ Shallot, finely minced (optional)
- 3 tsp of cognac or vermouth (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Very finely chop the fine herb blend in a food processor or on a cutting board.
- Gently fold the herbs together with the rest of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Season the butter to taste. If you use salted butter, be conscious that you will need little if any additional salt.
- Roll the butter into a log with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.