Exotic Kale · Kale · Pasta · 1 comment ·
Exotic Kale with Buttered Noodles
Because of their success in simplicity, buttered noodles have withstood the test of time. For some they are a guilty pleasure, and for those who appreciate the dish and its variations unapologetically, buttered noodles is a no-nonsense comfort food that comes together in minutes. This preparation pays homage to the simplicity of buttered noodles by seeing only the addition of exotic varieties of kale and the optional cheese and pepper. These ingredients add complexity and variation to the dish while being delicate enough to allow the gentle nature of the much beloved buttered noodle to shine through.
Source: Culinary Vegetable Institute at The Chef's Garden
- ¼lb exotic kale (approximately 2 large handfuls)
- 2 servings of egg noodles or preferred noodles
- 2-3 tbsp butter or plant-based butter
- hard cheese (optional)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and begin cooking your noodles.
- In the meantime, use your hands or a small knife to tear or trim the kale into bite-sized pieces. Split or remove stems as desired.
- Wash the trimmed kale leaves in a kitchen sink or bowl of clean water before drying and setting aside.
- Slowly melt the butter in a large sauté pan.
- When the noodles are cooked, drain them well.
- Add the kale leaves to the pan of butter and stir to gently cook for about 10 seconds or until the kale starts to brighten in color.
- Immediately follow by adding the drained noodles into the pan and stirring to coat all ingredients in the melted butter.
- Season to taste with salt before serving.
- Serve with optional grated cheese and fresh ground pepper.
Surprising mix of kale and buttered noodles… sauted a bit of garlic with the kale and topped everything with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Easy and Delicious!
Leave a comment