Fried Okra Pickles
Source: Culinary Vegetable Institute
- 1 lb Okra
For the Pickle Brine:
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 ⅝ Cups Vinegar
- ½ Cup plus 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 5 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
For the Wet:
- 4 Eggs
- ½ Cup Pickle Brine (measure this after okra is pickled)
For the Breading (The Dry):
- 6 Tbsp of your favorite Bbq Rub
- 2 Cups of Fine Breadcrumb
- ⅔ Cup of Fine Cornmeal
*Fryer Setup - 2 Qt Oil Minimum (if frying in a Pot use a pot w/ twice the capacity of the fill level)
For the Okra Pickles:
- Combine all of the ingredients for the brine in a 2 qt or larger pot and bring to a boil. While the brine is heating, wash the okra and transfer it to a 2 qt Mason Jar or similarly sized heat proof container with a lid.
- Pour the boiling brine into the jar housing the okra until full to the threads before covering tightly or attaching a tight fitting lid.
- Allow the Okra to Pickle at room temperature for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably for several days before making the fried Pickles.
For the Fried Pickles:
- Make the Wet mixture by whisking 4 eggs with ½ cup of the Okra pickling brine.
- Make the Dry mixture by combining the BBQ Spice, cornmeal, and preferred breadcrumb.
- Remove the Okra from the Jar and pat it dry before proceeding to pass it through the wet and dry components of the breading. (Bread the Okra twice for a thicker, crisper crust that better adheres to the pickle. Bread the Okra once for a light and gentle coat that offers little resistance.)
- Fry the Breaded Okra in batches in oil preheated to 360℉. Since the Okra Pickles need only to be headed through, remove them from the hot oil when the exterior is dark golden brown and to your liking.
- Serve the Fried Okra pickles while hot with your favorite sauces. We opted to serve it with whole-milk Greek yogurt topped with bbq spice and hot sauce.
Leave a comment