This easy recipe comes together in minutes, can be made in advance, and is easily tailored to your liking. Omit or include ingredients as you desire. The basic proportions of Brussels sprouts, olive oil, and Italian dressing are the foundation upon which you can add any herbs, additional vegetables, or preferred pickles. If Italian dressing is not your preferential choice, feel free to substitute it for any vinaigrette you are fond of!
- ½ lb Brussels Sprouts, Washed
- 3 tbsp Italian Dressing
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp of Julienned Red Onion (about 3 layers)
- 3 tbsp of Pickled Red peppers or peppers in brine, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp of minced Black olive
- 1/3 cup of Feta, crumbled (optional)
- Salt To Taste
- Using a sharp knife, cut the Brussels sprouts as needed into bite-sized pieces. Depending on their size, this may mean leaving them whole, splitting them in half, or quartering them.
- Use any steamer setup to cook the Brussels sprouts until they are done to your liking. (A shallow pot with a well fitting lid will work perfectly in this scenario. To use this setup simply add 1 cup of water to the pot before bringing that water up to the boil. As soon as it boils add the Brussels sprouts and cover with the lid. With the lid on, agitate the pot to distribute and evenly cook the sprouts. Occasionally remove the lid if stirring is needed.)
- When they are cooked to your liking, cool the Brussels sprouts by immediately transferring them to a tray (preferably with a rack) positioned in a well ventilated area.
- When the Brussels sprouts are cool, toss them in a bowl with the oil, dressing, red onion, pickled peppers, and minced olives. Season to taste with salt. Finish by gently folding in the crumbled feta (if using).
- Consume immediately or allow the Brussels sprouts to marinate in the fridge for a few hours, or preferably overnight for best results.