Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes are one of life’s many pleasures. They are simple to prepare and can be made well in advance. Accompaniments or toppings can range fresh herbs, butter and salt to spiced sugars, maple syrup, or honey.
Servings: 8 Small Sweet Potatoes
Source: Culinary Vegetable Institute at The Chef's Garden
- 8 Small Sweet Potatoes, washed
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Stick of Butter
- Salt to Taste
- Honey or Maple Syrup to taste (Optional)
- Sweet Potato Leaves (Optional)
- Preheat your Oven to 425°F
- Prick the sweet potatoes evenly with a fork. This will allow excess moisture to escape and will serve to concentrate the flavors of the sweet potatoes.
- Lightly oil and salt the exteriors of all the potatoes before transferring them to a lined baking tray.
- Bake the Potatoes until they are tender throughout, about 45 minutes
- (This can vary significantly from oven to oven and amongst various potato sizes. Do not be alarmed if your potatoes are done in 30 minutes, or if they take over an hour to fully bake.)
- Slice the potatoes open along their top side and distribute the butter amongst them. Lightly season the interiors and optionally spoon or squeeze in small amounts of maple syrup or honey.
- Garnish with included sweet potato leaves and serve hot.
These sweet potatoes can be cooked up to several days in advance and left whole. Before serving, reheat them in an oven or microwave before slicing them open and topping as desired.
Leave a comment