Consider this basic ratio to turn flavorful vegetables into ice creams. Consider peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, even steamed cauliflower, black garlic, salted plum. Churn to your manufacturers recommended setting. With egg substitutes and milk substitutes, this can be made vegan.
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 ounces (120 g) cream cheese
- 5 ounces vegetable puree
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over low heat to a very low simmer.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, vigorously whisk together your egg yolks, sugar, and salt for a few minutes until fluffy and almost marshmallow-like in texture. In a thin stream, gradually add in the warm cream while whisking constantly.
- Transfer the ice cream base to the blender and add the vegetable puree, salt, and cream cheese and blend on high until fully incorporated and temperature reaches 172ºF with a thermometer. This may not work without a high speed blender. If you don't have a high speed blender, transfer to a stove and bring to temp on a double boiler stirring frequently.
- Set up a bowl in an ice bath and transfer the ice cream base to it. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until cool. (Alternatively, you can chill the ice cream base in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.)
- Pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.