Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Source: The Culinary Vegetable Institute
For the dressing
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed into a paste.
- ½ Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp whole grain
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 shallot, finely minced
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
For the pickled onions
- ¼ of 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced beet
- 1 ¼ cup of pickle brine from the fridge
- 2 tbsp champagne viniagrette
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp of honey
- A few cracks of black pepper
- 1 tsp toasted caraway seeds
For the Salad
- 1 lb Mixed Greens, washed and dried.
- 1 handful Carrots, washed about 8 carrots
- A few radishes, washed
- ½ small radicchio, washed and quartered from root to top, leaves separated
- The supremes of 8 mandarins - Scraps pressed and juice reserved
- 1 cup of slivered almonds, toasted 300f for 2-5 minutes
- Sprinkle with Microgreens
- Sprinkle with Micro Herbs
- In a small sauce pot combine the brine, honey, and cracked pepper. Bring the brine up to a simmer and add the onions, after 10 seconds cover the pot and remove from the heat. Allow to sit, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, bring together the citrus juice, dijon, honey, garlic, and shallot. in a medium bowl. While whisking quickly, slowly emulsify the olive oil in a tbsp or so at a time, then season to taste.
- Roughly chop or tear the greens and add them to a large mixing bowl. Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler shave the root vegetables and add them to the greens. Add the endive leaves and mandarin segments to this
- Drain the pickled onions and add them as well as the almonds to the salad. Dress and toss the salad then taste for seasoning.