Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 6-12
Source: King Arthur Flour
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (227g) warm water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (57g) 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 2½ cups (301g, approximately) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons (25g) extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle on focaccia after baking
- 1lb of assorted Cherry Specialty Tomatoes
- 10 Squash Blossoms
- Micro herbs
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water. Add ¼ cup of the all-purpose flour. Stir with a whisk and let this sit for 10 minutes to give the yeast a chance to get going.
- Add the salt and the whole wheat flour. Add the rest of the all-purpose flour, ½ cup at a time, until the dough is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead it, adding more flour as necessary, until the dough has formed a smooth ball. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat it with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let the dough rise in a draft-free place for 1½ to 2 hours.
- When the dough has doubled in bulk, gently deflate it, and turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Stretch the dough into a 14" circle and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F while the focaccia is rising. Let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Dimple the focaccia with your fingers add your ingredients to the top of your bread dough and place it in the oven. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with fresh or dried rosemary and/or oregano. Cut into 6 to 12 wedges. Serve as is, or with marinara sauce, if desired.