Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 6-12
Source: King Arthur Flour
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (227g) warm water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (57g) 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 2½ cups (301g, approximately) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons (25g) extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle on focaccia after baking
- 1lb of assorted Cherry Specialty Tomatoes
- 10 Squash Blossoms
- Micro herbs
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water. Add ¼ cup of the all-purpose flour. Stir with a whisk and let this sit for 10 minutes to give the yeast a chance to get going.
- Add the salt and the whole wheat flour. Add the rest of the all-purpose flour, ½ cup at a time, until the dough is pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead it, adding more flour as necessary, until the dough has formed a smooth ball. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat it with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let the dough rise in a draft-free place for 1½ to 2 hours.
- When the dough has doubled in bulk, gently deflate it, and turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Stretch the dough into a 14" circle and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F while the focaccia is rising. Let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Dimple the focaccia with your fingers and place it in the oven. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with fresh or dried rosemary and/or oregano. Cut into 6 to 12 wedges. Serve as is, or with marinara sauce, if desired.