This is a pantry staple worth having on hand. Make ahead and store refrigerated. Enjoy this on anything from bread service, to homemade pizza. Consider using it in a hamburger mix or adding to stir-fried vegetables. The addition of tomatoes to the tried and true method of confited garlic results in a condiment that is almost a meal on its own. The acidity of the tomatoes cuts the richness of the aromatic oil and together they become greater than the sum of their parts.
- 6 heads of garlic, peeled, cloves kept whole
- 2½ cups Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 16 Sprigs of thyme
- 2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- Combine all of the ingredients except the tomatoes in a 1-2qt saucepot and transfer to a 225F oven for 1-3 hours, check occasionally.
- You want to see the garlic start to color but not burn. Bubbles should rise slowly throughout the process. When the garlic has evenly darkened and the aromas emerging from the oven have deepened it is ready.
- Add the tomatoes and continue the process for 20 more minutes.
- Remove confit from oven and allow to cool on the counter.
- Serve warm or transfer to a glass jar or pyrex food storage container.