Source: The Culinary Vegetable Institute
To construct a seasonal salad one must adopt the alter-ego of an explorer. Opportunities are abundant and the constraints of the season offer quick guidance when the appropriate philosophies are adopted. Just as Mixed Greens change across the months to reflect the ebbs and flows of the seasons, so can, and should, the list of accompanying ingredients. When using these greens look not only at the freshest produce around you but to the forgotten produce of your produce drawer. Limp vegetables offer little crunch and moisture when raw but are flavorful and creamy contributions after being cooked.
- 1Pound of Mixed Greens, washed
- 4 Mandarin Oranges, zested, peeled and segmented
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 Small English Cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 nectarine, plum, or other stone fruit (when in season), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Shallot, peeled and thinly sliced (1⁄8 inch)
- 3⁄4 C Nuts, (optional)
- Dressing of Choice
- Gather all components of the salad together and prepare them as described in the ingredient list. For mild citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits be sure to utilize the zest and any available juice from the trim after segmenting. For highly acidic citrus like lemons and limes, incorporate the zest and juice into whatever dressing you are making or have on hand.
- Other inclusions like cucumber, stone fruits, and berries (when in season) offer diversity to your salad and allow you to personalize the base of flavorful greens to suit your preferences.
- Vegetables, both raw and cooked are wonderful contributions to this salad. For raw root vegetables like carrots opt to shave them thinly on a mandolin or julienne them so that they can be well distributed into the mix. Dense vegetables like beets can be poached or roasted (this can be done days in advance) until they offer little resistance before being peeled and trimmed to bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare your greens by washing and drying them. Remove the stems as desired and chop them into 3⁄4 inch sections. Tear or chop the leaves as desired, leaving some of the smaller leaves whole.
- Combine all of your ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss them together. Add only enough dressing so as to season the salad. More can always be added, but it is not easily removed.
Our flavorful mixed greens are chock full of vitamins and minerals that they’re included in options for most of our wellness boxes. Thank you for letting us be your personal farmer, a vital part of your health and wellness team. We grow the best food as medicine possible to support you on your journey.